6090 International Trade: Theory and Policy
Christoph Hammer, M.Sc.
Language of instruction
02/07/19 to 02/19/19
Registration via LPIS
Registration via LPIS
Notes to the course
Subject(s) Bachelor Programs
|Tuesday||03/05/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||03/12/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||03/19/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||03/26/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||04/02/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||04/09/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||05/07/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||05/14/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||05/21/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||05/28/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||06/04/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||06/18/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
|Tuesday||06/25/19||03:30 PM - 05:30 PM||TC.5.18|
Topics that will be covered are:
- Stylized facts about world trade
- Myths surrounding trade and trade policy
- Why is there trade between different and between similar countries?
- Who are winners and losers from trade?
- What is the WTO and how does it influence trade?
- What are the tools of trade policy and how do they affect countries and firms?
- Why are there trade negotiations, free trade areas, customs unions and how do they work?
- How are trade disputes settled?
- Actions of governments that are faced with "unfair" trade practices such as dumping or export subsidies.
- Short overview of current topics such as Brexit, TPP, etc.
After completing this course, students will have a good knowledge of the most important theories and models of international trade. They will be able to apply them to real world issues and questions of economic policy relevance.
Classic lectures, one data assignment (home work), readings and discussion on current topics.
You can earn 100 points in total:
- 30 points on a midterm test
- 30 points on a final exam
- 20 points on quizzes (small written exams on the topic of the last lesson respectively)
- 20 points on short essay(s) on different (current) topics
- Applied Microeconomics: knowledge of different market forms, concepts of demand and supply, consumer and producer surplus
- International Macroeconomics would be advantageous: basic knowledge of the current account and institutions
Last edited: 2018-11-22