Presenting research results in English, for example at international conferences, has become a must for researchers worldwide. The aim of this seminar is to offer PhD students from across different departments to discuss and present their work in progress and thereby improve their presentation skills in English. The seminar will include input on what makes a successful academic presentation, and will offer the students the opportunity to hone their presentation skills as well as their English language skills. Students will practice giving presentations in a variety of formats from shorter (10-minute) to longer (20-30 minute) slots.
After attending this course, students will:
- have improved their ability to give clearly structured academic presentations in English;
- have mastered the core communicative skills required for academic presentations and discussions;
- have improved their ability to present arguments in grammatically accurate, idiomatically versatile and rhetorically effective English.
Attendance required through the entire course. In exceptional cases you may miss one (1) seminar unit.
The sessions will consist of a combination of lecture-style input, practical activities and student presentations, as well as feedback and discussion of the presentations.
- A short presentation (5-10 minutes): 30%
- A longer presentation (20-30 minutes) presentation of individual research: 60%
- A written abstract of the presentation: 10%
Participants are expected to have a level of general English competence equivalent to at least C1 on the Common European Framework
Registration required during the period of Registration.
Please refer to the homepage of the Institute for English Business Communication: https://www.wu.ac.at/en/ebc/contact/