This course consists of three parts:
- "International Trade" will be taught by B. Meyer (on tuesdays) and will cover the main theories of international trade, dealing with the causes and consequences of trade under perfect and imperfect competition and their implications on welfare. Based on these, several types of trade policies (tariffs, quotas, trade agreements, industry protectionism, ...) will be analysed in detail, focusing on their effects on welfare and equality under different economic environments. Various current and historic examples (USA-China trade war, WTO, NAFTA, ... ) will be used to motivate the presented concepts and support the understanding of the presented theories.
- "International macroeconomics" will be taught by Prof. I. Kubin (on wednesdays) and will focuse on trade in capital, the balance of payments and exchange rate determination.
- After completing parts 1 and 2, selected topics and contemporary issues (e.g., monetary systems, optimal currency areas, the Euro, financial crises, sovereign default, trade policies, Brexit, infant industry protection, ...) will be presented by students. This part will be held jointly by both lecturers.
After completing this course, students will have a good knowledge of the most important theories and models of international trade and exchange rate regimes. They will be able to apply them to real world issues and questions of economic policy relevance.
We accept two missed lectures in each part of the course (Tuesday and Wednesday respectively).
Lectures, exercises, presentations by students, essays.
100 points achievable in total:
- 2 exams (32 + 28 points)
- 3 quizzes (15 points)
- 1 data assignment (5 points)
- 1 term paper - presentation and written essay (20 points)
For a positive completion of this course, at least 50 points have to be achieved in total, of which at least 25 points must be achieved in the written exams and at least 15 points in the quizzes, data assignment and term paper.
- Excellent (Sehr gut): 87.5 points
- Good (Gut): 75 points
- Satisfactory (Befriedigend): 62.5 points
- Sufficient (Genügend): 50 points
- Not sufficient (Nicht genügend): below 50 points
- Introduction to Economics (“Grundlagen der VWL” in STEOP)
- Applied Microeconomics
- International Macroeconomics
Please feel free to get in touch with the lecturers via email. If you wish to meet them personally, plesae meet them after each class or ask for an appointment via email.