Registration via LPIS
|Tuesday||10/12/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||D2.0.374|
|Tuesday||10/19/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||D2.0.374|
|Tuesday||11/02/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||D2.0.374|
|Tuesday||11/09/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||D2.0.374|
|Tuesday||11/16/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||D2.0.374|
|Tuesday||11/23/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||11/30/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||12/07/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||12/14/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||12/21/21||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||01/11/22||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||01/18/22||08:15 AM - 09:45 AM||Online-Einheit|
|Tuesday||01/25/22||07:00 PM - 09:00 PM||Ort nach Ankündigung|
The course syllabus consists of the following:
- material contained in the EBC2 Coursebook and
- the relevant keywords in the New Handbook of Business English listed in the Coursebook
Please note that some units in the EBC2 Coursebook are not relevant for the exam; see overview on Learn@WU.
LEARNING OUTCOMES (LOs)
After successfully completing this course, students will be able:
- LO1: to demonstrate a level of general English competence equivalent to at least B2 (upper) on the Common European Framework;
- LO2: to understand and apply concepts from certain business and economic fields (companies, corporate structures, business combinations, financial management, securities markets, banking, national economies, and economic policy) and to remember terminology relating to these;
- LO3: to recall and use, the English equivalents of basic German terminology from these fields as well as basic principles of paragraphing and persuasive language;
- LO4: to read and identify key information in intermediate-level written texts about relevant business and economic fields, and to write communicatively-effective short (one-paragraph) texts, both descriptive and analytical, relating to these.
- LO5: to engage successfully in small group projects to prepare and hold a short persuasive presentation about the relevant topics.
In addition, this course fosters the following skills:
- Explanation and summary in German (or other native language) of English texts relating to the business fields mentioned
- Improved aural/oral skills
- Improved ability to analyse and understand texts in general
- Effective university-level study
As with all PI courses, attendance is a requirement to pass EBC2. As a special concession, you may miss up to three (3) meetings of your LV. However, if you miss a fourth, you will no longer be able to pass the course. This condition applies whatever the reasons for your absences may have been.
This attendance requirement will also apply if it is necessary to return to online teaching.
Please note: EBC2 is currently scheduled to take place on campus. This may change depending on developments with Covid-19 and the government regulations. Please keep checking your WU email and the notices (Ankündigungen) on LEARN for up-to-date information.
Classes are of a workshop nature and involve a wide range of activities based on the course literature and designed to develop the skills and knowledge that you need to fulfil the assessment criteria.
· response to student questions and other discussion about tricky content
· reading and working with texts
· development of paragraph-writing skills
· further language development, involving both vocabulary and more advanced structures
· writing and evaluating of short texts in response to instructions
· preparation and delivery of oral presentations
Some activities will take the form of pair or small-group work.
Provided you satisfy the attendance requirement, your final score will be made up of the following four elements (details are given below):
· Home exercise 5%
· Presentations: 25%
· FT: 70%
If you do not submit the Home Exercise or do a presentation, and you attend no classes after Unit 5, you will receive no grade, and you will not lose an 'Antritt'. Otherwise your grade will be based on your final score, as follows:
· 0-59% - grade 5
· 60-67% - grade 4
· 68-75% - grade 3
· 76-84% - grade 2
· 85-100% - grade 1
As EBC2 is a PI class, if you receive a grade 5 you will have to re-take it in a later semester in full (i.e., including class attendance and all 3 assessment elements).
If you wish to take this course you must register for an individual class (LV) using the LPIS system; individual EBC2 instructors are NOT involved in registration and will NOT reply to mails on the subject.
Please note that it is generally NOT true that all EBC2 places are taken as soon as registration starts; once ALL available places have been taken, more will be opened gradually, up to the limits set by room size and pedagogical considerations. Registration is effected on a first-come, first-served basis. Any unfilled slots will be filled from waiting lists in accordance with study progress and in cooperation with the Vizerektorat für Lehre und Studierende.
Having registered for a class you must attend it and no other throughout the semester.
You do not need to register separately for the Final Test (PI).
In order to take EBC2 you must have:
- satisfied the general requirement for progression beyond the CBK of your degree programme; and
- passed EBC1 (official title: Fremdsprachliche Wirtschaftskommunikation I - Englisch) .
You can contact your course instructor during his/her office hours, immediately before or after class or by mail (see above).
|1||Companies I - Key Features|
|2||Companies II - Corporate Governance|
Introduction to presentations
Writing practice & exam prep
Writing practice & exam prep