This course will address the following questions:
· Why does global marketing differ from domestic marketing?
· How can companies assess and identify suitable target markets?
· What are the major market entry alternatives?
· Which factors influence segmentation, targeting and positioning in overseas markets?
· Why is there a tension between standardization and adaptation in marketing?
How does the marketing mix change in a global context?
The course "Foundations in International Marketing Management" is closely linked to the course "Applications in IMM". While the "Foundations" course will provide the students with a fundamental understanding of key challenges and concepts in global marketing, these concepts will be contextualized in the "Applications" course, using a computer-based international marketing simulation.
PLEASE SEE FILE STORAGE FOR DETAILED SYLLABUS
By the end of the course, students will acquire:
· The ability to analyze and structure global marketing challenges.
· The ability to apply key concepts in global marketing to specific company/market situations.
· The ability to gather and filter information efficiently and effectively in the context of global marketing.
· The ability to learn to work in teams.
· The ability to develop critical thinking.
· The ability to defend developed arguments.
Please note that the attendance of the live sessions is mandatory. If you do not attend the first session, you will be deregistered from the course. An absence of 1 live session is permitted, but may impact your participation score. Please send an email to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ stating the reason for any absence if required.
1. Course Text:
Schlegelmilch, B.B. (2016). Global Marketing Strategy - An Executive Digest, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
The book is available in hardcover and as eBook. The latter is free of charge within the WU Internet domain: http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-26279-6
2. Course Script:
Please purchase the course script, including case texts, slides and background readings during office hours from Ms. Pam Taylor at the IMM office. You will receive an email beforehand informing you when it is available for purchase.
Before/after class and by appointment (IMM secretariat – Ms. Taylor)
For administrative matters please contact:
Ms. Selma Saracevic
Bodo B. Schlegelmilch heads the Institute for International Marketing Management at WU Vienna and is Chair of the Association of MBAs [AMBA] and Business Graduates Association [BGA]
Selma Saracevic is a Teaching and Research Associate at the Institute for International Marketing Management.
The complete syllabus in pdf form is to be found in "File Storage".
The IMM Welcome Event will be held on
More detailed information about the IMM Welcome Event will be published online.