After attending this session and studying its contents thoroughly students should be able to define the following concepts, to comprehend the concepts and explain their meaning, to state and explain the main results and to solve problems by applying the concepts.
- Basic calculus and algebra
After completing this course the student will have the ability to:
- Describe, explain, and work with the basic concepts and definitions of linear algebra, one- and multivariable analysis, topology, static optimization.
- Organize and integrate ideas and information from analysis and linear algebra.
- Solve applied problems where skills are required from analysis and linear algebra.
For this lecture participation is obligatory. Students are allowed to miss a maximum of 20% (no matter if excused or not excused).
In consultation with the participants, the course can take place online or at campus.
The exams will take place at campus in any case.
The course is taught as a lecture accompanied with weekly tutorials. The lectures are aimed at providing the theoretical framework, while the tutorials help students to comprehend the key ideas of the lectures. The tutorials are based on the week’s lecture and include relevant mathematical problems that have to be solved and discussed. Students present prepared problems (exercises as homework) and work on new ones in the class.
- 20% weekly tutorials, presentation of problems, homework
- 40% midterm exam and 40% final exam
There will be no opportunity to retake the exams.
Please log in with your WU account to use
all functionalities of read!t. For off-campus access to our licensed
electronic resources, remember to activate your
VPN connection connection.
In case you encounter any technical problems or have questions regarding read!t,
please feel free to contact the library at
The books from "Schaum´s Outline Series" contain short but self-contained reviews of the mathematical concepts and a large collection of problems with solutions. Hence they are an ideal source for additional exercises.