This course focuses on internationalization strategies and is conducted in cooperation with Henn Industrial Group, a global leader in the field of innovative connectors. The Austria-based firm develops and manufactures solutions that are broadly used in applications such as charge air (e.g., turbo chargers) and water cooling. As such, Henn's products can be found in most of today's cars, and are used as components in millions of automotives every year. More information can be found here: We are HENN | HENN.
As a globally active company headquartered in Vorarlberg (Austria), Henn Industrial Group is continuously seeking new market opportunities and analyzing the environment it is operating in.
This search for new opportunities is the focus of this course.
Within this course, students will learn to
- investigate and structure a complex strategic management challenge that a company faces in its international market environment,
- conduct an in-depth international market and competitor analysis,
- develop alternative strategic solutions that are viable under the given organizational and financial constraints,
- propose a decision for the most promising solution using presentation techniques,
- work in teams, and
- support their strategic recommendation with key arguments based on stringent reasoning.
Participation is mandatory. However, one unit can be missed as long as it is not the final unit (but students receive zero participation points for this unit).
This course uses a mixture of different teaching methods, including
- teacher presentations,
- in-class discussions,
- expert presentations,
- site visits,
- real life case studies,
- group assignments.
Grading is based on four elements:
- Particpation (20%)
- Mid Term Presentation (20%)
- Final Presentation (30%)
- Multiple Choice Test (20%)
- Peer Rating (10%)
Pre-requisites for WU students: completed course 1 (Foundations) and course 2 (Applications). The course is open to all exchange students with an interest in international business.