- Understanding the evolution of the European economy in a global context
- Examining the causes and consequences of industrialization and market integration in history
- Understaning the role of institutions in the process of economic development and economic growth
- Understanding the structural transformations and social challenges that accompany economic growth and globalisation
Skills and competences:
- The course trains the abilities to understand and analyse economic and social development processes with a special focus on their motors, patterns and forces of resistence.
- This will be done through assignments, presentations and questions to students on different levels of reflection, so basic knowledge on individual topics, the connection between different topics (and historical processes) and interpretation are rehearsed.
- Special attention is given to using basic tools of economics and other social sciences in interpreting history, and in contrasting the content of economic and social science theories with actual historical developments.
- Ultimately, the course aims to advance the students' ability to raise questions and answer them using the tools of analysis developed by economic and social sciences.