Registration via LPIS
“Strategic Management and Strategic Leadership” is the foundation course of the Cross Functional Management Program. Students will learn about fundamental theories and concepts of Strategy and Leadership. The interactive format combines lectures with group work and discussions as well as online coaching. Students will develop an understanding of why a coherent strategy coupled with effective leadership is essential to survive in today’s fast-paced business environment. Building on a solid notion of the key issues of strategic management and strategic leadership, the course further explores tools and concepts of external and internal strategic analysis. Case examples complement the learning in this course.
Students who have passed this course successfully are able to:
- explain the role of strategy, strategic management and strategic leadership in an organization;
- conduct a thorough analysis of external and internal factors that affect firm performance;
- understand the influence of situations on leader behavior;
- apply various tools to evaluate a firm’s competitive advantage;
- understand how top executives can influence organizational processes and firm performance.
In addition, students will hone their personal skills through interactive group assignments. By the end of the course, students will be able to systematically apply concepts and theories of Strategic Management and Strategic Leadership through in-depth analysis of case studies. Finally, students will be equipped with the necessary knowledge to recommend solutions to problems related to Strategic Management and Strategic Leadership and assess their impact on firm performance. By working hands-on on real case scenarios, students will be able to understand the application of theory to practice.
Attendance in all sessions is mandatory. The last session is reserved for the final exam which will be based on the textbooks.
The course involves a variety of teaching methods including lectures, in-class discussions, case studies, reading assignments, group assignments and presentations of group work, as well as coaching sessions. This pedagogical approach aims to enhance students’ learning and knowledge of the subject, as well their presentation and teamwork skills. The course closely follows two textbooks: “Strategic Management”, by Frank T. Rothaermel (4th edition), and “Leadership in Organizations”, by Gary Yukl (9th edition). These textbooks and the respective chapters are relevant for the exam. They are available at the WU library or can be purchased online.
Depending on COVID regulations at WU, the teaching methods may vary.
Individual performance 10 pts
- In-class participation, peer feedback and reflection paper: 5 pts
- After-class individual assignment (reflection on the movie): 5 pts
Group assignments: 40 pts
- Pitch presentations: 5 pts
- Creating a balanced scorecard for your university: 5 pts
- Case presentation: 10 pts
- Final case report: 20 pts
Final exam: 50 pts
90% - 100%
80% - 89%
70% - 79%
60% - 69%
This course is available to students of the Cross-Functional Management Program and incoming Bachelor’s students. For questions concerning enrolment and waiting lists please contact the Coordinator of the Cross Functional Management Programme at email@example.com.