Registration via LPIS
The aim of this course is to raise awareness of the factors that influence interaction in intercultural settings, to introduce approaches to intercultural communication and intercultural management, and to provide students with tools to enable them to work and communicate effectively across cultures.
The course is taught in ENGLISH.
After completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Define "culture" as a complex concept and anticipate the effects of cultural differences on different areas of life.
- Be aware of their own cultural background.
- Reflect on stereotypes and prejudices participants may have about other cultures.
- Be able to perceive differences in behavior as cultural differences and identify the reasons for certain patterns of behavior.
- Be aware of the role of "culture" in communication processes and use the concepts acquired in the course to apply new communication strategies.
- Analyze critical incidents using a solution-oriented approach.
- Develop empathic skills in cross-cultural interactions through experiential modules like role plays and simulations.
- Be aware of cultural adaptation processes and develop coping strategies.
Attendance is mandatory in at least 80% of live sessions. Absence is to be agreed upon in advance and has to be compensated for with an academic paper or equivalent task.
You will receive further details from your course instructor at the start of the course.
The course will involve interactive teaching methods, including cultural simulations, group discussions and presentations.
The assessment of the course will include the following criteria:
- Class participation (20%)
- Group assignment, incl. oral presentation and written report (40%)
- Individual written assignment/exam (40%)
Grading key (points/percent)
- 90 - 100 Sehr gut (1 - Excellent)
- 80 - 89 Gut (2 - Good)
- 70 - 79 Befriedigend (3 - Satisfactory)
- 60 - 69 Genügend (4 - Sufficient)
- < 60 Nicht genügend (5 - Fail)
You will be informed about the assessment criteria details during the course.