1623 International Firms and Financial Environment
Daniel Hill, MSc (WU)
Contact details
Weekly hours
Language of instruction
09/18/23 to 09/28/23
Registration via LPIS
Notes to the course
Subject(s) Bachelor Programs
Day Date Time Room
Tuesday 11/21/23 08:00 AM - 11:00 AM TC.3.07
Thursday 11/23/23 09:30 AM - 12:30 PM TC.1.01 OeNB
Tuesday 12/05/23 08:00 AM - 11:00 AM TC.3.07
Thursday 12/07/23 09:30 AM - 12:30 PM TC.4.14
Tuesday 12/12/23 09:30 AM - 12:30 PM TC.3.09
Thursday 12/14/23 09:30 AM - 12:30 PM TC.4.14
Tuesday 12/19/23 09:30 AM - 12:30 PM TC.3.08
Thursday 12/21/23 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM TC.4.05

The Course Internaitonal Firms and Financial Environment will cover:

  • Goals for international finance
  • Globalization and the world economy
  • Multinational corporations
  • Theory of comparative advantage
  • Evolution of the international monetary system
  • European monetary system
  • Balance of payments
  • Governance and the public corporation
  • Agency problems
  • Corporate governance reform
Learning outcomes

This course is designed to provide students with knowledge in the area of International Firms and the Financial Environment. Specifically, it aims at providing students to following outcomes:

· Understand the foundations of international finance and the role of international firms in the world economy

· Understand international monetary systems, international trade and a country's balance of payments

· Perform an in-depth macro financial analysis of a country

· Understand corporate governance issues and causes/effects of financial crises

Attendance requirements

According to the examination regulations, full student attendance is required for a PI (or at least 80 percent of schedule classes hours). Given the schedule structure of this course, the remaining 20 percent that students may miss equals to approximately one class session/unit. No information about the absence is necessary. If there is an absence equalling more than 20 percent, a positive completion of the course is not possible.

Teaching/learning method(s)

The class will be held in English language.

The teaching and learning methods will be a mix of lectures and interactive discussions concerning the outlined learning outcomes. Additionally, there are individual assignments and group presentations (depending of class size). Students will be expected to work in small groups to prepare a presentation on topics relating to an international financial crisis or large-scale financial scandal.

In addition to the book chapters, supplemental reading material will be provided in order to facilitate class discussions. Discussion and active participation is not only encouraged, but expected (and graded).

Preparatory materials will be available at Learn@WU.


Leistungen für eine Beurteilung (Performance for an assessment):

· 15 % Individual assignment

· 40 % Group Presentation

· 45 % Final Exam


90% or more: 1 (excellent)

80% or more: 2 (good)

70% or more: 3 (satisfactory)

60% or more: 4 (sufficient)

59,5% or less: 5 (fail)


Please log in with your WU account to use all functionalities of read!t. For off-campus access to our licensed electronic resources, remember to activate your VPN connection connection. In case you encounter any technical problems or have questions regarding read!t, please feel free to contact the library at

Availability of lecturer(s)

You can contact the lecturer by email at Office hours are by appointment only. Please do not contact instructor regarding registration or waitlist questions.

For administrative matters and registration, please contact



Last edited: 2023-11-09