The Open Broadcast Software (OBS) can be downloaded from the WU software center.
How do I prepare and conduct a screen recording?
Step 1: set up the program
- Install the software
- Go to Settings | Audio to select your preferred microphone.
- Go to Settings | Output to select where the recording will be saved.
- Go to Settings | Output and change the recording format to MP4.
- Go to Settings | Hotkeys to set hotkeys for e.g. Start / Stop and Pause.
- Confirm your selection with "Okay" and "Apply".
Step 2: Select scenes and sources
By default, OBS only transmits a black image. Change this setting. In the lower part of the main window you will see the boxes "Scenes", "Sources", "Mixer", etc. Click on the + under "Sources" in order to select a source to be displayed in your image. Possible sources are:
- Window recording for programs, e.g. if you want to demonstrate the use of a software.
- Video recording device, e.g. the PC camera or a connected webcam.
- Browser window if something is to be shown directly on the Internet.
Enter a unique name for the selected sources, this makes it easier to select this source again later. You can also define "scenes" here later. Scenes allow you to adapt the software to different recordings situations and to switch between them (eg: Scene 1 "Exclusive Screen Recording", Scene 2: Recording of Screen and Webcam").
Step 3: Check sound and picture settings
In the lower area of the main window you will see the "Mixer" box. Here you can check on which audio sources are currently selected. Here you can also adjust the volume of these sources or mute them. Start a recording and check whether the sound and image match.
What should I look for in screen recording?
Before the screen recording
- Test in advance whether the image and sound recording work as expected.
- Have a glass of water ready for you.
- Provide a quiet recording environment and also switch off interference sources on the computer (background processes, ad blockers, noise sources, system programs, etc.).
- Limit the size and duration of your recording (ideally to 10-15 minutes). This makes it easier to do a good recording and it keeps the size of the MP4-file handy for upload and download.
Format of screen recording
- Choose the recording area carefully to ensure that movements while recording wont be necessary. Avoid zooming and scrolling..
- Select 16: 9 as image ratio. In PowerPoint this can be accomplished in "Draft | Video Size | Widescreen (16: 9).
- Choose a video resolution that is above 640px360p, because too low a resolution is not suitable for a full screen view.
- Save the videos preferably as an Mp4 file.
While screen recording
- After starting the recording, check whether the recording is really running (recording symbol).
- Move the mouse cursor at a natural speed.
- It is best to record one piece so that the timbre of the voice is uniform throughout the video.
How do I make the screen recording available to students?
You have the following options for integrating a screen-recording into MyLEARN:
- Upload it to the Lecturecasts application.
- Upload it directly into a learning activity via "media insert > Upload media".
- Upload the video somewhere else (e.g. YouTube or Vimeo) and embed it in a learning activity using "Media > Embed media".
Find detailed step-by-step instructions for this in the MyLEARN-Guide Chapter Lecturecasts.